Sunday, July 09, 2006

VETS ARE ANIMALS FRIENDS TOO

Healing Animal SCARS
– Sonya’s Cat & Animal Rescue Society

Proposal for veterinary care of indigent felines

I wish to obtain a quote for veterinary services to assist the cats that come into my rescue.
I am seeking veterinary advice regarding what health care is required for kittens and grown cats, since the information available online varies greatly.

I intend to test for Feline Leukemia and FIV, provide vaccinations, parasite removal and finally having the cat altered so they cannot reproduce.

Testing for fatal disease:
I have been told that kittens only need to be tested for Feline leukemia, not FIV because it always comes back as a false positive. If the mother cat is with the kittens, is it okay to only test the mother cat, and presume the kittens are the same as the mother?

Vaccinations/immunizations:
At what age does a kitten require vaccines, and which type and how often? What about if I find an adult feline? I should presume that it has never been provided with any vaccines, etc. so what do they need to start? Is it necessary to give boosters of the vaccines, and if so, how far apart?

Parasite control:
Worms - Strongid-T dose every 10 days for 3 doses, then follow up with a pill (Drontal or Cesstex) to eliminate any tapeworm (from fleas or hunting).

Fleas – what product should I use, and at what age? If it is a nursing mother, when can I give flea treatment? If there is no visible sign of fleas, is it still necessary to give a dose of flea treatment?

Feral cats (Trap Neuter Release):
What should be done for feral cats that I intend to trap, alter and release? Should I give them flea and parasite control? Vaccines only needed once? Alter and keep for how long before releasing? Could we put a notch in their ears to identify which cats have already been caught and released?

Please provide me with your opinion as to what health care I need to provide to my rescued cats, as well as your price schedule. I greatly appreciate your time,

Thank you,

Sonya Higgins, Director, SCARS
PHONE: 469-MEOW (469-6369)
FAX: 461-2029
143 Briarwood Drive
Eastern Passage, NS B3G 1B7

No comments: