Thursday, April 30, 2009

getting rid of cats on Kijiji

Why do I ever look on Kijiji? I post ads about my rescue and have found some wonderful volunteers and compassionate people, but when I see so many ads to "get rid of" a cat or "free kittens" it makes me sick.
The following is an example of someone giving away kittens. When I asked for more information, this is the story I got:

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009
From: katsonya@accesswave.ca :
RE: Reply to your "Kittens For FREE!!" Ad on Kijiji
To: debra
____________________________________________
can you tell me more about these kittens?

She replies:


They are six weeks old.I cant tell if they're boys or girls they're healthy.i own the mother, shes the most loving cat ever.the father is a male cat from the neighbor hood & hes a tabby.


So I stupidly reply again, offering to help:

Hi Debra, If you are interested in getting the mother cat spayed, I can get you a discount at my vet. Then I would be willing to take these kittens to adopt into loving homes that can afford their health care. One of the pictures shows a kitten with black, white and orange – calico cats are always girls. Sonya Higgins

then she tells me____________________________________________

hi first of all i also have another cat that had 3 kittens 3 weeks ago a black and white 1 and 2 orange ones they are all short hair also i was wondering how all calico can be females when the mother is not a calico so that would mean that the father is i think anyways how much would it coast me to get both females spayed and i dont have a car or any way 2 get them to a vet




End quote. So the only way I could possibly help someone like this is to put myself in great personal debt to spay/neuter her pets and take away all the kittens. This would probably not teach her any lesson about the importance of Sp/neutering because the next cat she gets, she will figure, "hey, Sonya will just take care of it for me"

In conversations with other animal rescuers and shelter managers, I hear a lot of different philosophies, such as "if you can't afford an animal, you should not get it in the first place" What about those softies who can't bear to watch a starving stray and when they start feeding it, more cats show up, start mating and make a colony on the kind person's property? It is so easy to get in over your head. The local SPCA used to tell people not to feed stray cats if they didn't want them around. Or that if they did feed the cat, it was now thiers, so they had to pay to get it fixed and the shelter wouldn' t take it. Luckily, their position statements have changed, pointing out that NOT feeding is inhumane and even starving pets still mate.
Wow, I got off topic here... Kijiji sucks for pets... The posts should be only permitted for rescue groups and animal related services, not backyard breeders and people who continually allow thier cat to have kttens by accident... We need a TNR and spay and neuter clinic here in the Halifax area NOW

1 comment:

AutumnD said...

Kijiji does suck! We operate a parrot and exotic animal sanctuary in Alberta Beach. Kijiji has deleted all of our ads (none of which go against their rules)twice now. They put them back the first time saying oops...it was an accident. But we openly warn against death breeders (who breed female birds to death) and so-called rescues that take in animals and sell them immediately for profit. All it takes is one of them to 'flag you' because they don't want to lose their easy income and the Kijiji idiots will delete your ads without question. They clearly advocate animal cruelty but not respect and kindness. Keep up the good work.
Together on this Planet
Autumn Domoslai
Autumn Hollow Sanctuary