Friday, December 08, 2006

Cat rescue against residential by-laws

Hi Sonya,
I don't have much time to write but I wanted to respond to your email. I am sickened by the whole thing and I cannot BELIEVE that it has turned out like this. I am very sorry, Sonya. I am in shock. How could someone be annoyed with construction when it is just a shed?! I will draft a letter of some kind in support of this.
Honestly!! Good luck. Kathleen

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 22:16:59 -0300, "Sonya Higgins" <katsonya@accesswave.ca> said:> Hi there, I ran into a huge problem - the neighbours complained to the city. They apparently didn't appreciate the construction on my shed, ( 4 different days over a few weeks) and complained to the city that I was running an illegal business. Long story short, I met with my councillor and 2 Land-use by-law officers and I am not allowed to have a non-profit that involves the keeping of animals here at this zoning address, because the city views it as a business. I am seeking legal advice, and will always keep cats here and rescue them. I cannot believe the burocracy that sees a non-profit society as a home business! Nonsense! I strongly urge you to write to city council to express your views on their lack of action on behalf of homeless cats ( there is currently NO by-law in place to deal with cats, the city just doesn't do anything unless they are already dead or near dying...) Tell them they need to consult with local animal rescuers to get feedback/input on their new by-law for animal control. Tell them about all the pets who were saved because of a good-hearted rescuer who is now in peril of being charged as a criminal for trying to help cats... Please speak out on this ridiculous interpretation of the law, I need to keep helping cats only because the city is not doing their part. HRM has no affiliation with the local branch of the SPCA. When the SPCA and Bide-Awhile are full ( every day) there is absolutely no other option for ordinary citizens who find a stray cat. So when a person like me tries to start a new animal rescue league of foster homes, I am accused of nonsense by one bitter individual and forced to stop the good work I am doing... How does that show support for the animals?
Sonya D. Higgins, Director & Chairman> Healing Animal SCARS - Sonya's Cat & Animal Rescue Society> Phone: 469-MEOW (469-6369)> Eastern Passage, NS> katsonya@accesswave.ca > http://scars-sonyascatandanimalrescuesociety.blogspot.com/> www.petfinder.org/shelters/NS28.html

No comments: