Friday, December 08, 2006

MLA response to request for help

An email from Kevin Deveaux on Sept 25/06:

Thank you for your e-mail. To be clear, I have always tried to direct people to HRM, as the rules with regard to operating a business are HRM rules.
That said, as noted in my earlier e-mail to your supporter, I am glad to provide some advice on how to formalize the shelter in a way that ensures it can operate legally.
if you believe it can operate legally at your house (and HRM agrees) then that is good. if you wish to discuss how to raise funds or gain support for a shelter located in another location, I would be glad to provide advice.
I apologize if there is some confusion as to my position. Let me clear, I support compliance with HRM Land Use Bylaws and I support the need for a cat shelter in the community. If that cannot be done at your house, then the community needs to find a place that is suitable.
Kevin Deveaux, MLACole Harbour-Eastern Passage

From: Sonya Higgins To: deveaux.mla@ns.sympatico.ca, 'Becky Kent' <kentb@halifax.ca

Subject: please help Healing Animal SCARS - Sonya's Cat & Animal Rescue Society

Hello Kevin,> First of all let me thank you for your donation to my auction held back in July, to fundraise for Healing Animal SCARS, a new cat rescue group that has been formed in Eastern Passage. I have assembled a Board of Directors and we are in the process of completing the paperwork to get registered with Joint Stocks. We did send in the application earlier this summer, but it was returned asking for clarification, which we gladly provided. We have also obtained a letter of support from the NS SPCA. There has been an enormously positive response from the community, and I feel I am providing a much needed service. However, my neighbours have suddenly turned on me! She complained to the city that I was running an illegal business, which is not the case. I have spent well over $6000 at the vet alone, and my various fundraisers and adoption fees have only earned about $4000, so it is obvious I am doing this for charity, not to get rich. I have always covered the costs for the many stray cats I take in, out of my own pocket. I have met with my city councillor, Becky Kent, and the Office and Recognized agent for the N-P society will be at one of the other directors homes, so that my neighbour cannot complain that I am running a business here. The angry neighbour has even accused me of misappropriating funds raised by the neighbourhood children, and has been slandering my good name in the community. Her daughter was corresponding with another of my volunteers, via MSN messenger on Friday, and wrote something to the effect that Kevin Deveaux had already told her Mom that Sonya is not allowed to have cats in her shed anymore. If this family or any other complainant does continue to ask questions of you regarding my cat rescue, I would appreciate if you would refer to Becky Kent and the 2 Land Use officers listed below, to clarify the solution that has been suggested. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer, and am requesting that you telephone me at home to further discuss my options. Thank you very much from myself and the cats who have been given a new lease on life, Sonya D. Higgins, Director & Chairman> Healing Animal SCARS -

-----Original Message-----> From: Sonya Higgins [mailto:katsonya@accesswave.ca]> Sent: September 23, 2006 5:16 PM> To: 'stoffp1@parl.gc.ca'> Cc: 'Becky Kent'> Subject: Healing Animal SCARS - Sonya's Cat & Animal Rescue Society> > > Hello Peter,> > I have received 2 phone messages from you this summer, commending me on my work in animal rescue. I would love to speak with you on the phone, because I am seeking your support in writing this time. I have been getting harassed and threatened by a nasty neighbour, who has called the city and tried to get me "shut down". It is very unfortunate that one bad apple can make a lot of grief for the many other caring citizens who have helped me with the fundraising over the past 4 months. I met with my city councillor, Becky Kent, and 2 Land Use officers, Shawn Audas and Marc Ouellete, at my home on Thursday, Sept. 21st to discuss how I can legally keep operating without breaking any by-laws. We are in the process of registering with Joint Stocks, and would like to have letters of support from politicians to show that there is a need for more animal rescues, to deal with the enormous problem of stray cat colonies in HRM. Please phone me at your earliest convenience,> > Thank you so much,> > Sonya D. Higgins

No comments: