Friday, December 08, 2006

support needed for cat shelter - Denise's reply

Hi Sonya,
The neighbor that threatened to shut you down. What are the laws re a non profit on your property?
Re some of her concerns:
Increased foot traffic............no more than her family or daughter having people in. There are 3 of them and only 1 of you! People are on your property and not theirs. They may want to put up a fence if it bothers them that much. Bags of cat litter in the garbage.............well, there are not too many homes that do not have pets, and where else might the cat litter go? Verbal abuse from them is not called for. You are on your property and not theirs. Who and how many people are at your place should be nothing to them. If the verbal abuse and harassment keeps up you will; maybe have to look at a restraining order.Maybe your neighbors would prefer to see hundreds of cats running around, tearing up their flowers beds, etc..
I think you are doing a great job.
Denise

> Hello to all the wonderful supporters of Healing Animal SCARS,>> When I sent a mass email requesting help to insulate and drywall my shelter, I had many encouraging responses and ended up with 4 wonderful men who gladly volunteered their time. I cannot thank them and their families enough! I could never have done it myself, and am truly grateful for their community spirit. They ended up not only providing their construction services; one family decided to take 2 mother cats in to foster, and other volunteers joined the Simply Delicious Fundraising Sales Team - best $2 chocolate bar around! So I need to thank Bill Flowers, Marc Chenier, Marc Perron, Mike Power, Michael Pollett and Matthew for their help again today, trying to complete the job out in the shed.
However, as my city councillor, Becky Kent predicted, a neighbour has threatened to "get it shut down" because I don't have the right to do this next door to her home. This neighbour exploded at me today, and said she won't live next to a cat house. She seems to feel I am running a business - Ha! As if there were money to be made in rescuing cats! I am requesting your individual feedback. She has some valid concerns to be addressed, such as increased foot traffic and privacy issues, bags of cat litter in the garbage and so on. I did not want to impose upon my neighbours, just to help a few cats.
One of my volunteers was so taken aback by her verbal barrage of me that he spoke up to help, only to be physically threatened by the husband! I would really appreciate if my Board of Directors members can attend the meeting 7pm Wed, Sept 27th, as it is the only night we have available. I want to invite Becky Kent to attend our meeting so that she can address her concerns.
I also need help from anyone who wants to write to our councillor and local politicians to ask them to support a new animal rescue, instead of preventing it from doing good work, help find ways to do that work unobtrusively to my hostile neighbours. Time for campaigning! I can never thank you enough for helping get these cats off of the streets, away from misery, starvation and certain death. You can be proud knowing you have made a difference in saving real lives - 16 adoptions so far and counting. Let people know that pets are not disposable. Please pass your opinions to the politicians below, and any others you can think of! Email can be sent to Becky Kent here: mailto:kentb@halifax.ca> mailto:info@kevindeveaux.com is the way to reach Kevin Deveaux.
Please pass along your own opinion to our politicians and ask what they intend to do about the growing cat population in HRM. Shutting down a fledgling new rescue is not going to help - do they want to be seen as co-operative or non-supporting?
Thanks so much,
Sonya D. Higgins

No comments: